Postville Board of Education Meeting
Regular Scheduled Meeting at 4:30 P.M.
Fine Arts Lobby
April 9, 2018
President Smith called the regular meeting of the Postville Board of Education to order at 6:30 P.M. on Monday, April 9, 2018, with the following members present: Jeff Cox, Tony Gericke, JoAnn Jacobs, and Staci Malcom. Absent:
President Smith welcomed the visitors.
Motion by Cox, second by Jacobs, to approve the agenda. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Gericke, second by Cox, to approve the consent agenda with two additional hires added to the consent agenda. Carried unanimously.
- Approve of the March 12, 2018, Regular Meeting Minutes
- Approve the monthly invoices and financial reports (reviewed by Jeff Cox)
- Approve the hire of Jaqueline Vargas/Special Education Associate, Jesenia Vargas/Special Education Associate, Patricia Uhal/7th8th Grade Math Teacher, Sean Singewald/Head Junior High Football Coach, Ty Halverson/Head Junior High Football Coach, Derek Friederich/Summer Technology Assistant, Teresa Berg/Summer Technology Assistant, Aandi Deering/High School Head Girls’ Basketball Coach, Laura Storlie/High School Science Teacher, Brad Rose/Summer Driver Education, Susie Merrifield/Assistant Junior High Track Coach, Kevin Johnson/High School Social Studies Teacher, Kevin Johnson/Head JH Wrestling Coach, Kevin Johnson/JH Boys’ Track Coach (for the 18-19 school year) and Sean Singewald/Junior High Assistant Wrestling Coach
- Approve the resignations of Corey Smock/JH Boys’ Track Coach (effective at the end of the 17-18 track season), Angela Adney/Kindergarten Teacher and Volleyball Coach, Mary Jo Moore/Guidance Counselor’s Aide, Sean Singewald/Junior High Head Wrestling Coach, Aandi Deering/Assistant Boys’ Basketball Coach, and Brad Bucknell/J.H. Football Coach
- Approve transfer of Ashley Cioccio/3rd Grade, and Lisa Snitker/2nd Grade
- Acceptance of Donations/Gifts to the District as presented in the board packet.
- Approve the continuation of the lawn mowing contract with A&S Lawn Care, adding the area around the Child Care Cent.
- Approve the Senior Trip to the Twin Cities on May 14th and 15th.
- Approve the 2017-2018 Calendar Make-Up Schedule
Superintendent Dugger shared that construction will start at the end of April, working to establish the outer perimeter first so kitchen can continue to be used. The roofing project will start in May. Postville’s work comp mod factor has decreased, as notified by IASB
Principal Knudtson shared that Iowa Assessments are taking place this month. The 8th-11th grades are working on scheduled for the 18-19 school year. Parent teacher conferences, 8th grade orientation, and a career fair will take place next week.
Curriculum Director/Dean of Students Schutte and Elementary At-Risk Teacher, Maria Leitz, shared information the elementary attendance procedures.
President Smith opened the 2018-2019 budget hearing at 4:50 P.M. No public input. President Smith closed the public hearing at 4:53 P.M.
Motion by Gericke, second by Jacobs, to approve the 2018-2019 budget as published and presented. The FY19 tax rate will be $12.775. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Jacobs, second by Malcom, to approve the first reading of the following board policies. Carried unanimously.
- 415.1A Job Description for Jr/Sr High Principal/Activity Director’s Secretary
- 415.1B Job Description for Elementary Principal Secretary
- 415.1C Job Description for K-12 Secretary
- 704.6 Online Fundraising Campaigns-Crowdfunding
Motion by Malcom, second by Gericke, to approve the renewal of the Elementary Guidance Sharing Agreement with MFL MM, Kurt Gaylor; and approve the renewal of the Transportation Director Sharing Agreement with MFL MM, Trent Miene. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Cox, second by Jacobs, to approve the lease agreement with Postville Child Care Services, Inc. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Gericke, second by Malcom, to approve the technology purchase of SMART Panels. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Gericke, second by Cox, to approve the renewal of the Business Manager Sharing Agreement with North Winneshiek, and the Letter of Assignment for Melissa Fettkether, for the 2018-2019 School Year. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Cox, second by Malcom, to approve the increase in FTE for the Ag and Business Teacher from .57 to .64. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Jacobs, second by Cox, to approve the resolution presented in the board packet supporting the State maintaining the commercial property tax ‘backfill’ which was established in 2013. Carried unanimously.
The Community Eligibility Provision item was tabled until May 2018.
Board entered into Exempt Session at 5:13 P.M. to discuss 18-19 negotiations strategy for Non-Bargaining Employees. The board exited the Exempt Session at 5:45 P.M.
Motion by Gericke, second by Jacobs, to approve the Contract for Non-Bargaining Employees as presented below. Carried unanimously.
- 3% Increase for Abdiwahab Ali, Darlene Bissell, Melissa Fettkether, Annette Frey, Brendan Knudtson, Laurie Smith, and Adriana Vazquez.
- 8% Increase for Glen Lansing and Noah Schaufenbuel.
- $80,000 salary for Jenny Schutte as Elementary Principal.
- $77,400 salary for Ryan Zurbriggen as Director of School Improvement.
- Year One Bus Drivers at $27.50 per route.
- Year Two Bus Drivers at $28.00 per route.
- Year Three Bus Drivers at $28.75 per route.
- Activity Drivers at $13.00 per hour.
Items for the May Board Meeting are:
- Budget Amendment Hearing
- Graduation List
- Summer School
The May Board Meeting for the Postville Board of Education will be held on May 14, 2018, at 6:30 P.M, at the Postville Fine Arts Center Lobby.
Motion by Gericke, second by Jacobs, to adjourn the meeting at 5:48 P.M. Carried unanimously.
Jamie Smith, President Melissa Fettkether, Secretary