Postville Board of Education Meeting
Regular Scheduled Meeting at 6:30 P.M.
Fine Arts Lobby
June 11, 2018
President Smith called the regular meeting of the Postville Board of Education to order at 6:30 P.M. on Monday, June 11, 2018, with the following members present: Jeff Cox, JoAnn Jacobs, and Staci Malcom. Absent: Tony Gericke.
President Smith welcomed the visitors.
Corey Snitker, Allamakee Emergency Management Center, presented the updated Allamakee County Hazard Mitigation Plan.
Val Reinke, Allamakee County Economic Development and Tourism, present information on the Allamakee County Housing Survey Housing Results.
Motion by Jacobs, second by Malcom, to approve the agenda. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Jacobs, second by Cox, to approve the consent agenda. Carried unanimously.
- Approve of the May 14, 2018, Regular Meeting Minutes.
- Approve the monthly invoices (reviewed by JoAnn Jacobs) and financial reports.
- Approve the hire of Aleya Grimes/Migrant Summer School Teacher.
- Approve the resignations of Ashley Kuennen/Elementary Special Education.
- Approve the transfers of Judy Miller/K-12 Secretary; Karen Meyer/K-6 Secretary AM; Stephanie Burroughs/K-6 Secretary PM.
- Acceptance of Donations/Gifts from:
- Approve payment of FY18 invoices as required.
- Approve the disposition of old SmartBoards. The items have no monetary value and will be offered to staff, recycling any remaining items.
Superintendent Dugger shared updates on the progress with the kitchen construction project. The project is on schedule. Postville currently has one staff position opening.
Principal Zurbriggen shared information on assessment data in the elementary. Several teachers are attending the PLC conference this month.
Curriculum Director/Dean of Students Schutte shared information on the Live Healthy Track Meet in Marshalltown. Seven teachers are attending 7 teachers to KPEC in Dubuque.
Principal Knudtson shared that the high school participation eligibility rules and good conduct code is being updated for the FY19 school year.
Sara Kellogg and Brendan Knudtson shared information on MS Math interventions for the Leadership and Learning section.
Motion by Cox, second by Malcom, to deny an open enrollment request due to Postville’s Diversity Plan. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Jacobs, second by Cox, to approve that transfer of $5,842 from the General Fund to the Activity Fund to cover the cost of safety equipment that has been purchased in FY18. (Resolution is attached). Carried unanimously.
Motion by Cox, second by Malcom, to approve participate in the Community Eligibility Provision option, which enables Postville students to received free meals in the district. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Jacobs, second by Cox, to approve the second reading of the following policies. Carried unanimously.
- 606.5 Student Field Trips and Excursions
- 401.7 Employee Travel Compensation
Motion by Jacobs, second by Cox, to approve the first reading of the following policies. Carried unanimously.
- 604.6 Instruction at Post-Secondary Education Institutions
- 213 Public Participation in Board Meetings
- 213.1R1 General Complaints by Citizens
- 402.5 Public Complaints by Employees
- 502.4 Students Complaints and Grievances
Motion by Malcom, second by Cox, to approve adoption the Allamakee County Hazard Mitigation Resolution. Carried unanimously.
Items for the July Board Meeting are:
- 2018-2019 Bread and Milk Bids
- 2018-2019 School Fees
The July Board Meeting for the Postville Board of Education will be held on July 16, 2018, at 6:30 P.M, at the Postville Fine Arts Center Lobby. (Please note the change from the normal schedule.)
The board entered a closed session at 7:44 PM under Code section 21.5(1)(a) to review or discuss records which are required or authorized by the state or federal law to be kept confidential or to be kept confidential as a condition for the governmental body possession or continued receipt of federal funds. Motion by Jacobs, second by Cox, to come out of closed session at 7:55 PM.
Motion by Cox, second by Jacobs, to adjourn the meeting at 7:56 PM. Carried unanimously.
Jamie Smith, President Melissa Fettkether, Secretary