President Smith called the regular meeting of the Postville Board of Education to order at 6:30 P.M. on Monday, May 14, 2018, with the following members present: Jeff Cox, Tony Gericke, JoAnn Jacobs, and Staci Malcom. Absent: None.
President Smith welcomed the visitors.
Motion by Cox, second by Jacobs, to approve the agenda. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Gericke, second by Malcom, to approve the consent agenda. Carried unanimously.
- Approve of the April 9, 2018, Regular Meeting Minutes
- Approve the monthly invoices and financial reports (reviewed by Anthony Gericke)
- Approve the hire of Stephanie Spain/Summer School Teacher; Angela Adney/Summer School Teacher; Jessica Koester/Summer School Teacher; Tonya Vagts/Summer School Teacher; Jennifer Benda/Summer School Assistant Tutor; Barb Harris/Summer School Assistant Tutor; Elizabeth Perez/Summer School Assistant Tutor; Joanna Smith/Summer School Assistant Tutor; Rey Mucia/Assistant Boys’ Basketball Coach; Jill Dehning/Part-time Summer Custodian; Tonya Vagts/Kindergarten Teacher; Kim Kleve/Assistant High School Girls’ Basketball Coach; Susan Schlein/Summer Credit Recovery at RISE Academy; Julie Heitland/Summer Credit Recovery at RISE Academy; Susie Merrifield/Migrant-ESL Summer School Instructor; RaeAnne Caldwell/Migrant-ESL Summer School Instructor; Kathy Ohloff/Migrant-ESL Summer School Instructor; Emma Treloar/Migrant-ESL Summer School Instructor
- Approve the resignations of Maria Lopez/Elementary Associate; Tommy Chavez/Elementary Associate
- No transfers
- Acceptance of Donations/Gifts from:
- Dolores Hughes/$75.00/Wrestling in Memory of Barry Hughes
- Approve the Thespian trip to the International Thespian Festival in Lincoln, NE from June 25, 2018-June 30, 2018.
- Approve the 2018 graduation lists.
Superintendent Dugger shared thanks for the board’s service during School Board Recognition Month. There is a retirement luncheon scheduled to honor Mary Jo Moore on June 1st. He gave an update on the construction project, with walls starting to be built. The project is on schedule so far.
Principal Knudtson shared that graduation practice was completed. There are eight alternative school graduates this year. This spring marks the last visit of the University of Iowa Dental Program, after five years. Spring sports are coming to and end and summer sports are ramping up.
Curriculum Director/Dean of Students Schutte shared that summer school is taking place at the YMCA community room due to construction. Several staff members attended the Migrant Conference. Iowa Assessments are completed in the elementary and results have been submitted.
Sara Kellogg and Brendan Knudtson shared information on the Junior High Intervention System for Literacy for the Leadership and Learning program.
Motion by Cox, second by Gericke, to approve the second reading of the following policies. Carried unanimously.
- 415.1A Job Description for Jr/Sr High Principal/Activity Director’s Secretary
- 415.1B Job Description for Elementary Principal Secretary
- 415.1C Job Description for K-12 Secretary
- 704.6 Online Fundraising Campaigns-Crowdfunding
Motion by Jacobs, second by Malcom, to approve the first readings of the following policies. Carried unanimously.
- 606.5 Student Field Trips and Excursions
- 401.7 Employee Travel Compensation
Motion by Cox, second by Jacobs, to approve the Food Corp Liaison for the 2018-2019 school year at $7,500. Carried unanimously.
Items for the June Board Meeting are:
- Community Eligibility Program
The June Board Meeting for the Postville Board of Education will be held on June 11, 2018, at 6:30 P.M, at the Postville Fine Arts Center Lobby.
Motion by Gericke, second by Cox, to adjourn the meeting at 7:34 P.M. Carried unanimously.