Postville Board of Education Meeting
October 9, 2017
President Jamie Smith called the regular meeting of the Postville Board of Education to order at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, October 9, 2017, with the following members present: Jeff Cox, Tony Gericke, JoAnn Jacobs, Staci Malcom.
President Smith welcomed the visitors.
Motion by Cox, second by Malcom, to approval the agenda. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Cox, second by Jacobs to:
- Approve the minutes of the September 18, 2017 annual, regular, and organizational meeting
- Approve the monthly bills
- Approve the hiring of April Kruckman-Supplemental Vocal Contract, Joy Minikwu-Migrant/At-Risk Tutoring, RaeAnne Caldwell-Migrant/At-Risk Tutoring, Kathy Ohloff-Migrant/At-Risk Tutoring, Susie Merrifield-Migrant/At-Risk Tutoring, Eric Lopez-Bilingual Newcomer Paraprofessional, Tim Rupard-Assistant Wrestling Coach, and Bobby Schultz-Volunteer Wrestling Coach.
- Accept the resignation of Mohamed Abdi-Somali Translator and Adult Literacy Liasison
- Approve the early graduation of one student.
- Approve the overnight trip to the FFA National Convention to Indianapolis, IN (10/24/17 – 10/27/17)
Superintendent’s Dugger shared a flyer for the PERL facts to provide to the public. Information was provided about the possible purchase of the Child Care Building to prompt discussion of the board on how they would like to proceed. Information provided on how to access future meeting information via the district website to move toward a paperless board meeting.
Learning and Leadership- Mary Guese and Joy Minikwu presented on Learning and Leadership and the Language Instruction Educational Program.
Motion by Jacobs, second by Gericke, to approve the first reading of the following board policies:
- 6 Weapons
- 7 Smoking, Drinking, Drugs
- 1 Student Conduct
- R1 Student Suspension
- 2 Expulsion
- 5 Corporal Punishment
- 2 Tobacco Nicotine Free Environment
Motion by Malcom, second by Cox, to approve the creation of a new full-time custodial position due to increasing need.
Motion by Gericke, second by Jacobs, to approve entering into contract with Waggoner and Wineinger Architects for 2018 building updates.
Motion by Jacobs, second by Cox, to approve the 2018 roof project to go out for bids and work timelines.
Motion by Gericke, second by Malcom, to approve a facility use agreement between the district and Red Cross for use of the school facility as a disaster shelter.
Items for the November Board Meeting
- Hazard Mitigation Planning – Cory Snitker
- Child Care Building
The November Meeting for the Postville Board of Education will be held on November 13, 2017, at 6:30 PM.
Motion by , second by , to adjourn the meeting at 7:10 p.m. Carried unanimously.