Board of Education Meeting
March 11, 2019
5 a/b. Minutes, Bills, and Financial Reports
5 c. Hires: Yoselin Perez/Part-Time 7-12 Newcomer Para
5 d. Resignations: Kayla Miller/Paraprofessional and RaeAnne Caldwell/Wrestling Cheerleader
5 e. Transfers: April McQuade/Full-Time Paraprofessional, Jackie Vargas/Full-Time Paraprofessional, and Trista Snitker/Full-Time Paraprofessional
5 f. Acceptance of Donations/Gifts to the District
- Learning and Leadership – Jenny Schutte, Dani Rose, and Mary Guese will present on Standards Based Grading.
- The board needs to consider an open enrollment request. The student is requesting open enrollment to the Iowa Connections Academy which is the virtual school through the CAM School District. The recommendation is to deny the request based on the district’s Diversity Plan.
- The board needs to consider the second reading of board policies 505.5 Graduation Requirements, 505.8 Alternative Diploma Education Program, and 605.4 Graduation Requirements. The policies contain new financial literacy requirements. Enclosure
- The board needs to consider the hard surface plan for poor gravel road conditions. The district currently does not have this type of plan. Glen and I feel this is a good option going forward. Enclosure
- The board needs to consider the make-up schedule for the balance of the 2018-2019 school year. Enclosure
- Melissa and I will review information for the FY20 budget. The board will hold a public hearing on April 8, 2019, and then formally consider the budget at the same meeting.
- The board will hold a public hearing for the 2019-2020 District Calendar.
- The board will consider the 2019-2020 District Calendar which was created by the calendar committee.
- The calendar is based on 1,146 hours of instruction. Excluding lunchtime, the minimum number of hours for Iowa schools is 1,080.
- The regular school days will be 8:10 A.M. – 3:30 P.M. and the professional development days will be 8:10 A.M. – 1:30 P.M.
- The district will have early dismissals on Wednesdays for consistent professional development time.
- Graduation will be Sunday, May 17, 2020, at 2:30 P.M.
- The first day of school will be Friday, August 23, 2019, and the last day will be Thursday, May 22, 2020.
- The board needs to consider extending the agreement with Northeast Iowa Community College through the end of the summer. Postville students can at no cost to the district, choose from a list of college courses at Northeast Iowa Community College through the end of the summer.
- The board will conduct an exempt session to discuss employee contracts.
- The board will consider the non-bargaining contracts for the 2019-2020 school year.