Board of Education Meeting
April 9, 2018
5 a/b. Minutes and bills
5 c. Hires: Jaqueline Vargas/Special Education Associate, Jesenia Vargas/Special Education Associate, Patricia Uhal/7th8th Grade Math Teacher, Sean Singewald/Head Junior High Football Coach, Ty Halverson/Head Junior High Football Coach, Derek Friederich/Summer Technology Assistant, Teresa Berg/Summer Technology Assistant, Aandi Deering/High School Head Girls’ Basketball Coach, Laura Storlie/High School Science Teacher, Brad Rose/Summer Driver Education, Susie Merrifield/Assistant Junior High Track Coach, Kevin Johnson/High School Social Studies Teacher, Kevin Johnson/Head JH Wrestling Coach, and Sean Singewald/Junior High Assistant Wrestling Coach
5 d. Resignations: Angela Adney/Kindergarten Teacher and Volleyball Coach, Mary Jo Moore/Guidance Counselor’s Aide, Sean Singewald/Junior High Head Wrestling Coach, Aandi Deering/Assistant Boys’ Basketball Coach, and Brad Bucknell/J.H. Football,
5 e. Transfers: Ashley Cioccio/3rd Grade, and Lisa Snitker/2nd Grade
5 f. Acceptance of Donations/Gifts to the District (see attachment)
5g. I am recommending we continue with the lawn mowing contract for the 2018 mowing season with A and S Lawn Service. They are adding the space around the Child Care Building for an extra charge. The contract is enclosed.
5h. Senior Trip – Twin Cities – Monday, May 14, 2018 and Tuesday, May 15, 2018
5i. Please refer to the attachment for end of the year make-up days.
7. The board needs to hold a public hearing on the FY19 Budget. Please refer to the attachments.
8. The board needs to consider the FY19 School District Budget.
9. The board will consider the first reading of policy updates 415.1A Job Description for Junior/Senior High Principal and Activity Director’s Secretary, 415.1B Job Description for Elementary Principal Secretary, and 415.1C Job Description for K-12 Secretary. For the 2018-2019 school year, the administration is recommending the district add a K-12 Secretary position and update the job descriptions for the elementary and junior/senior high principals. Please refer to the attachments for more details. Also, the board will review and consider a board policy regarding “online fundraising campaigns”.
10. The board needs to consider continuation of the Elementary Guidance Sharing Agreement with the MFL MM Community School district for the 2018-2019 school year. I am recommending we continue this agreement.
11. The board needs to consider continuation of the Transportation Director Sharing Agreement with the MFL MM Community School district for the 2018-2019 school year. I am recommending we continue this agreement.
12. The board needs to consider the lease agreement with the Postville Child Care Services. The board reviewed the contract back in February; however, there have been some changes. The maintenance and cleaning sections were updated along with the length of the contract. The contract will be in place until April 9, 2023. Please review the attachment.
13. The board needs to consider a technology purchase for SMART Panel TVs. The SMART TVs will be installed this summer and billed to the district in December. We will have a 3 year semi-annual purchase lease and pay for them with the capital projects fund. This project will complete the full elementary installation for next school year.
14. The board needs to hold a closed session to discuss negotiations strategy for the 2018-2019 non-bargaining contracts.
15. The board needs to consider/approve non-bargaining contracts for the 2018-2019 school year.
16. The board needs to consider a shared contact and letter of assignment for Melissa Fettkether. The contract would share the School Business Official with North Winneshiek for the next 15 months through September 30, 2019. North Winneshiek will compensate Postville for the costs associated with this agreement. The North Winn SBO recently resigned to take a similar position at the Crestwood School District.
17. Mr. Knudtson would like the board to consider increasing the FTE for the Ag. and Business Teachers from .57 to .64. He will explain the calculations at the meeting. Please refer to the attachment.
18. The board needs to consider a resolution supporting the State maintaining the commercial property tax “backfill” which was established in 2013. The legislature is working on legislation that will phase out the backfill. It would cost our district $32,625 in funding. Please review the attachments.
19. Melissa will have information for you to review regarding the district’s Community Eligibility Provision.