Board of Education Meeting
September 10, 2018
5 a/b. Minutes, bills, and financial reports
5 c. Hires: Susie Schlein/Student Ambassadors/ASAP, Yasmin Dahir/Para/Translator, Joanna Smith/Elementary Associate, Kayla Miller/Elementary/Jr/Sr High Associate, Kevin Johnson/Assistant JH Football Coach, Susie Mueller/After School Tutor, Aleya Grimes/After School Tutor, Kathy Ohloff/After School Tutor, Anne Friederich, and April McQuade/Elementary Para
5 d. Resignations: Clarissa Kjosa/Elementary Associate, Eric Lopez/Bi-Lingual Newcomer Para, and Dave Peterson/Custodian
5 e. Transfers: None
5 f. Volunteers: Carla Hernandez Farinas/Bi-Lingual Newcomer Para
5 g. Acceptance of Donations/Gifts to the District (none this month)
5 h. Dordt College Theatre Festival Overnight Trip 11/2/18 and 11/3/18 – There will be 14 students and 2 chaperones attending this trip. It will be paid through speech fundraising activities and Dordt College will reimburse the district for fuel costs.
5 i. UNI Thespian Festival Overnight Trip – 11/9/18 and 11/10/18 – There will be 34 students and 3 chaperones attending this trip. It will be paid through speech fundraising activities.
5 j. Early Graduation Request for Marissa Aguirre
Annual and Regular Meeting Business
- The board will hold a public hearing regarding the Instructional Support Renewal.
- The board needs to consider renewing the Instructional Support Levy for fiscal years 2020-2025. The current Instructional Support Levy expires on June 30, 2019. The Instructional Support levy generates approximately $320,000 for the Postville School District and can be used for general fund purposes. The revenue will come from a combination of state aid, income surtaxes and property taxes.
- The board needs to consider the second reading of policy updates.
- 105 Assistance Animals. This a new policy that clarifies the use of service animals, assistive animals, therapy animals and emotional support animals.
- 606.3 Animals in the Classroom. This policy was updated to be consistent with Board Policy 105 which allows service, assistive, therapy, and emotional support animals.
- 705.1 Purchasing – Bidding. The amended policy adds language that requires compliance with federal and state laws for the selection and suspension of federal and state contractors.
- 705.1R1 Suspension and Debarment of Vendors and Contractors Procedure. The new regulation adds a procedural framework for evaluating and screening contractors who have been suspended or debarred from continuing to transact with the District.
- 710.1 School Nutrition Program. The amended policy adds language that requires compliance with federal and state laws for the selection and suspension of federal and state contractors.
Organizational Meeting Business
- The board needs to consider designating the Postville Herald as the District’s official newspaper
- The board needs to consider designating Ahlers and Cooney as the district’s legal counsel.
- The board needs to consider designating the following depository banks and their limits:
- Freedom Bank $4,000,000
- Fidelity Bank $2,500,000
- Iowa Schools Joint Investment Trust $4,000,000
- There will be a closed session to discuss a student issue.