Postville Board of Education Meeting
Regular Scheduled Meeting at 6:30 P.M.
Fine Arts Lobby
August 13, 2018
President Smith called the regular meeting of the Postville Board of Education to order at 6:30 P.M. on Monday, August 13, 2018, with the following members present: Jeff Cox, Tony Gericke, JoAnn Jacobs, and Staci Malcom.
President Smith welcomed the visitors.
Erica Nosbisch and Dr. Reimer, representing NICC, presented information on the NICC Bond Election.
Motion by Gericke, second by Jacobs, to approve the agenda with the addition of one open enrollment. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Malcom, second by Gericke, to approve the consent agenda with the addition of one hire. Carried unanimously.
- Approve the July 16, 2018 Regular Meeting Minutes.
- Approve the monthly invoices (reviewed by Jamie Smith) and financial reports.
- Approve the hire of Keisha Kerr/Nurse; Shelly Tafollo/Custodian.
- Approve the resignations of Marcy Kraus/Softball Coach; Abdiwahab Ali/Somali Liaison; Lorri Pladsen/Elementary Associate.
- Approve District Appointments: Title I Coordinator/Jenny Schutte, Equity Coordinator/Brendan Knudtson, Title IX Coordinator/Brendan Knudtson, 504 Coordinator/Jenny Schutte, Special Education Co-Directors/Jenny Schutte and Brendan Knudtson, Bully/Harassment Investigators/Jenny Schutte and Brendan Knudtson, Affirmative Action Coordinator/Ryan Zurbriggen, Level I Investigators/Jenny Schutte, Ryan Zurbriggen, and Brendan Knudtson, Level I Alternate Investigator/Tim Dugger, Level II Investigator/Postville Police Department, Homeless Liaison/Denise Mauss, Teacher Quality Committee Administrator/Tim Dugger, School Improvement Advisory Chairperson/Ryan Zurbriggen, ELL Coordinators/Jenny Schutte and Brendan Knudtson, and Food and Fitness Administrator/Ryan Zurbriggen.
Superintendent Dugger shared information on the in-service schedule with new staff.
Principal Knudtson updated on the school scrimmage.
Principal Schutte shared information on harassment complaint data.
Motion by Cox, second by Jacobs, to approve seven open enrollments into district requests. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Gericke, second by Cox, to approve the K-6, 7-12, and Alternative School Parent/Student Handbooks. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Cox, second by Jacobs, to approve the contract between Postville CSD and Postville Child Care Services for the four-year-old program. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Gericke, second by Cox, to approve a Resolution to Consider Continued Participation in the Instructional Support Program and to schedule a Public Hearing. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Gericke, second by Malcom, to approve the first reading of the following board policies. Carried unanimously.
- 105 Assistance Animals. This new policy to clarifies the use of service animals, assistive animals, therapy animals and emotional support animals.
- 3 Animals in the Classroom. This policy was updated to be consistent with Board Policy 105 which allows service, assistive, therapy, and emotional support animals.
- 1 Purchasing – Bidding. The amended policy adds language that requires compliance with federal and state laws for the selection and suspension of federal and state contractors.
- 1R1 Suspension and Debarment of Vendors and Contractors Procedure. The new regulation adds a procedural framework for evaluating and screening contractors who have been suspended or debarred from continuing to transact with the District.
- 1 School Nutrition Program. The amended policy adds language that requires compliance with federal and state laws for the selection and suspension of federal and state contractors.
Motion by Cox, second by Malcom, to approve the Communications Tower lease with Julie Szabo for the Digital Repeater System at $650 per year. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Jacobs, second by Gericke, to approve a change order for the roofing project in the amount of $7,446. Carried unanimously.
Items for the September Board Meeting are:
- Public hearing for the instruction support program
- Resolution to consider participation in the instruction support program
The September Board Meeting for the Postville Board of Education will be held on September 10, 2018, at 6:30 P.M, at the Postville Fine Arts Center Lobby.
Motion by Cox, second by Jacobs, to adjourn the meeting at 7:09 PM. Carried unanimously.
Jamie Smith, President Melissa Fettkether, Secretary