Postville Board of Education Meeting
Regular Scheduled Meeting at 6:30 P.M.
Fine Arts Lobby
July 16, 2018
President Smith called the regular meeting of the Postville Board of Education to order at 6:30 P.M. on Monday, July 16, 2018, with the following members present: JoAnn Jacobs, Tony Gericke, and Staci Malcom. Absent: Jeff Cox.
President Smith welcomed the visitors.
Motion by Jacobs, second by Malcom, to approve the agenda. Carried unanimously
Motion by Gericke, second by Jacobs, to approve the consent agenda with the addition of a resignation. Carried unanimously.
- Approve the June 11, 2018, Regular Meeting Minutes.
- Approve the monthly invoices (reviewed by Staci Malcom) and financial reports.
- Approve the hire of Daryl Schultz/HS Volleyball Coach; Kirsten Richardson/Elementary Special Education.
- Approve the resignations of Daryl Schultz/ Game Manager; Kirsten Richardson/After School Program Director; Kari Sass/School Nurse; Kallie Heitland/Paraprofessional; Michael Henrickson/Custodian.
Superintendent Dugger shared information on the possible renewal of the instructional support levy for FY2020-FY2025.
Motion by Jacobs, second by Gericke, to approve the 2019 Legislative Priorities to include district cost per pupil and transportation equity, oppose vouchers/ESA’s, and the extension of the State Penny for School Infrastructure. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Gericke, second by Jacobs, to approve the second reading of the following policies. Carried unanimously.
- 604.6 Instruction at Post-Secondary Education Institutions
- 213 Public Participation in Board Meetings
- 213.1R1 General Complaints by Citizens
- 402.5 Public Complaints by Employees
- 502.4 Students Complaints and Grievances
Motion by Gericke, second by Jacobs, to approve the bids of Pan-O-Gold Baking company for FY19 baked goods and Prairie Farms for FY19 milk products. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Malcom, second by Gericke, to approve the school fees for the 2018-2019 school year. No increases from FY18. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Gericke, second by Malcom, to approve the Diversity Inc, Flooring Bid for $18,562.50. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Gericke, second by Jacobs, to approve the increase of pay for substitute cooks to $10.50/hour, substitute custodians to $10.50/hour, substitute aides to $10.50/hour, substitute secretaries to $13.00/hour, and substitute nurses to $16.00/hours. Carried unanimously.
Motion by Jacobs, second by Malcom, to approve the construction project change orders in the amount of $5,887 for HDPE panels and $1,063 for a tunnel access door hatch. Carried unanimously.
Motion to approve the purchase of elementary classroom furniture in the approximate amount of $16,270. Carried unanimously.
Items for the August Board Meeting are:
- K-6 and 7-12 parent and student handbooks and alternative school handbook
- Contract for the 4-year-old preschool
- Professional development schedule
The August Board Meeting for the Postville Board of Education will be held on August 13, 2018, at 6:30 P.M, at the Postville Fine Arts Center Lobby.
Motion by Gericke, second by Jacobs, to adjourn the meeting at 6:52 PM. Carried unanimously.
Jamie Smith, President Melissa Fettkether, Secretary