Postville Community School District
Please VOTE in the April 2nd Special Election
on the Physical Plant and Equipment Levy (PPEL)
The PPEL election is coming up. It will be Tuesday, April 2, 2019, from noon through 8:00 P.M. The measure will need a simple majority to pass and will take place at the Turner Hall 119 East Greene Street, Postville, Iowa. Voters will be asked to vote yes, for the measure, or no, against the proposal. Residents of the Postville District will be allowed to vote.
Postville Community School District Physical Plant and Equipment Levy (PPEL)
January 15, 2019
- The renewal of the voted PPEL is NOT a new tax but a continuation of the current rate.
- The PPEL maybe used for the following items: laptop computers, Smartpanel televisions, wired/wireless infrastructure, busses, vans, Suburbans, facility renovations; including, roof repairs/maintenance, windows, lights, flooring, classroom furniture, and playground equipment. The Postville Board has made a commitment to not approve long-term debt to pay for these upgrades. The PPEL funding is used each year to maintain and upgrade the above items.
- The current voted PPEL was approved by the Postville voters on April 5, 2011, with a 71% approval rate.
- The voted PPEL needs a simple majority to pass.
- The current voted PPEL is for the following years FY2012 through FY2022.
- The new voted PPEL would be in place from FY2023 through FY2033.
- The regular PPEL is $.33/$1,000 of assessed valuation in the district.
- All Iowa School Districts levy the regular amount for their facility needs at $.33/$1,000 assessed valuations.
- The current Postville School District rate is $1.34/$1,000 of assessed valuation. The voted PPEL revenue is funded through a combination of property taxes and a 2% income surtax.
- FY19 PPEL Revenue $314,836
|Voted PPEL||Regular PPEL|
|Current Rate||Income Surtax 2%||Property Tax||Total||Rate||Total|
- The election date will be Tuesday, April 2, 2019.
- Absentee voting will begin in the Allamakee County Auditor’s office on Monday, March 4. Absentee voting will be open until 11 a.m. on election day, Tuesday, April 2, 2019.